Thursday 8 October 2009

Vegan Carrot Cake

(I'm afraid not all my recipes are vegan.....but this is delicious anyway, will appeal to vegans and non-vegans alike!)




3 carrots, grated (approx 8 oz. worth)
Guess what, I am about to make this with organic carrots from my garden!!
6 oz. sultanas or raisins
6 oz. self-raising white flour and 4 oz, SR wholemeal flour
6 oz. sugar ( I didn't ask, but I think it's probably OK to substitute honey here)
1 tsp. cinnamon and 1 tsp. ginger
8 fl. oz vegetable oil
7 fl. oz water
pinch of salt and dash of vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence

ICING


2 oz.vegan margarine
4 oz. icing sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence



1. To make the cake, stir all the dry cake ingredients together and then mix the wet ones in.
2. Bake at gas mark 5 (190c) for 45 mins, then reduce oven to gas mark 3 (160c) and cook for another 30 minutes. Cool in tin.
3.. To make the icing, mash the margarine and vanilla essence into the sugar with a fork.
4. Ice the cake. Optional; top with roughly chopped nuts (e.g. cashews or walnuts)

No comments:

Post a Comment